12/29/11

Fatwood from L.L.Bean


I'm a sucker for a story.

Yesterday we drove up to Freeport, ME, to spend a day out of the house. There wasn't any snow up that way yet, which was surprising, but the clouds were threatening and it felt a lot colder than the 28° the mercury claimed it was.

Of course, you can't go to Freeport without going in LLBean. It isn't illegal to do so, but I would say it's frowned upon. But this isn't really the post to praise Leonwood, so I'm going to leave that for another day. As we were leaving though, we came upon a burlap bag that was about the most simple and practical thing in the whole store. So we picked it up, paid our $22.95, and drove back south.






Now, I didn't know a thing about fatwood just yesterday. But I read the story that was attached to the burlap sack, and I can't wait to try it out this evening when the sun goes down.
Fatwood is nature's most efficient kindling. Rich with natural resin, L.L.Bean Fatwood offers a quick, bright, long-lasting flame that easily ignites larger, slower-burning logs. Just two eight-inch sticks of our Fatwood and a match are all you need to initiate the warmth and comfort of a roaring fire.
A byproduct of the lumber industry, fatwood is hand-split from pine tree stumps of previously cut, non-endangered trees located in renewable, managed, sustainable forests. Whether done in Central America or the United States, the harvesting of fatwood helps clean up the forest floor, helping reforestation and reducing the risk of forest fires. We take great care to leave the forest as we found it and harvest the entire product, leaving no waste behind. Fatwood is both user and environment friendly.




1 comment:

  1. My friend introduced me to fatwood a few years ago--the old fashioned way. We trekked through the woods and he showed me how to find it. Then I realized LL Bean sells it! It's a great product. zr

    ReplyDelete