Since we're making an effort to spend more time with people this year (and less on gifts), I thought it would be fun to add a new Christmas decoration to our home. A fun welcome for people when they arrive for dinner (or drinks or a football viewing).
Felt again for this project. The tutorial called for 2.5 yds (!) of felt, but I think I only ended up using about 2 yards. I guess it depends on how full you want your wreath. And I had what I thought was a great idea to add some wintry blues to the all-white wreath, which ended up being, as Micah put it, "a little too crafty." And I agreed, so you'll noticed that the blue disappears by the end of the project.
This project was a definitely more expensive than the felt garland, but not crazy; I was able to get the felt on sale, too. You'll need the felt (2-2.5 yards), pins (enough for each circle which turns out is A LOT!), a 12" styrofoam wreath, scissors, circle template, pencil (I used a disappearing fabric marker) and a scrap of ribbon. I made it in about 3 sittings, and it seems like it took a really long time, but easy, kind of mindless work.
First, I created my circle template out of an empty cereal box. I wanted something more substantial than paper, but not as heavy as cardboard. I used a random candle stick base to trace a ~3" circle onto the paperboard and then cut it out. Easy peasy.
After that, it was on to the circle tracing. I folded my fabric in half so that there'd be 2 pieces for every circle I traced and cut. I did the tracing several rows at a time and then cut them out. Traced a few rows and then cut. It was better for my tired hands to vary it at least a little. Once it seemed like I had a decent amount - aka towers and towers of wobbling felt circles - I decided to start pinning them onto the wreath. I didn't want to waste supplies and time and effort cutting out more circles than I needed. Plus, again, it would give my hands something different to do.
Each circle is folded in half once (to make a semi-circle) and then in half again. You stick the pin through the bottom corner to make the "rosettes." I wasn't really sure how to arrange them on the wreath, but I just sort of eyeballed it as I went. Once I had a batch pinned in, I went back and fluffed them a little, moving and re-arranging where necessary.
It turns out that the towers and towers of felt circles only covered about half the wreath...back to tracing and cutting and pinning (repeat repeat repeat). Once I made it all the way around, I gave it a once-over again, fluffing, moving, re-pinning.
For the hanger, I originally just cut a strip of felt instead of using ribbon, but decided that ribbon would probably be sturdier. And seeing as the wreath is a snowy white, I didn't want it falling onto our dirty porch. So I replaced the short felt strip with some scrap ribbon I had leftover from another project (you can't see it so it doesn't matter what color it is - mine is pink!). One thing I did do was make sure that the 2 pins holding the ribbon into the wreath were angled up when I pushed them into the foam, just in case they were thinking about popping out, it seemed slightly more secure that way.