11/2/16

What we're looking at now.


Yesterday in the mail I received the most wonderful package. It was from my wife's aunt. In it was her father's 1941 UNC football manager sweater. "Micah, we are downsizing. This is daddy's from college. I wore it some in the 70s. I'd like you to have it." It fits me like a glove. Now, Mr. Hogue is a legend. He's 95. A lawyer by trade, and he still makes it into the office some days. He was in Gimghoul. The Monogram Club. He managed the football team with gusto despite going 3-7 (something familiar to an Ole Miss alum). He is a WWII vet. And every day, at 4:30 on the dot, his sits down with his wife of 65 years and has Quality Time. They have a drink, and share in each other presence. On my wedding day, and every time we speak, he reminds me how he's stayed married for so long. "Love and forgiveness, Micah. That's all." I'm honored to have his sweater. I will wear it on crisp autumn days and tell our little one, as she grows bigger, about the giant she has for a great-grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment