7/28/17

What we're looking at now.


For the last 18 months, I didn't feel wind. . We'd ridden a five year wave of being new and getting good press and the South being on trend and the maker-movement and USA Made and Mom & Pop and God Bless The Little Man and small batch and artisan and then it just stopped. . No one was writing. No one was shopping. No one was searching. . We've always hovered around the same revenue each year (I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to grow this damn thing), but we ended 2016 down 18% from our slowest year. It was scary. Old Try pays our rent. And we just bought a house. It was disheartening. Who can motivate themselves to create new things when they can't sell the things they've already created. It was humbling. Maybe Old Try wasn't an important as I convinced myself it was. Maybe I thought a little too much of myself. . It was motivating. I'm a runt from North Alabama, and if there might not be food on the table, I'm gonna fight. I sweated it. I thought and I tried things and I saw how they worked and I scrapped the things that didn't work and double down on the things that did. I worked more, later. I tried to drum up more business. More collaborations. More print releases. I came home from my day job and I put the kid to bed and I checked out on my wife night after night and I tried to right the ship. . Marianna was huge in this. She supported me and she worked just as many late nights and she rarely complained and she questioned my decisions and got us to better ones. She kept us pointed in the right direction. . Last night I ran the numbers, and this year finds us 25% up on last. . We didn't have any wind last year. So we learned to row. . #letterboardfridays

No comments:

Post a Comment